Many people compliment me on my teeth :-
“Oh, they’re so white!”
“Oh, they’re so straight!”
“No wonder you’re a dentist…look at your teeth!”
Well, let me tell you the real truth – they are not perfect! Look closely….
1. I haven’t had orthodontic braces before, but they look pretty straight, but there’s this minor squint on my lower incisor which really bugs me…
2. I have non-carious tooth surface loss - erosion AND attrition – due to my love for sucking on highly-acidic foods (oranges, lemons and limes) and grinding my teeth at night…i.e. my teeth are very worn….look at my right vampire fang tooth (= canine) – instead of being sharp and pointy, it is flat as a pancake! As a result, my teeth are at a weakened state – the edges are transparent like glass.
3. I have 3 fillings!!!! *sugar addict as a child*
- Argh!! So I got a filling replaced today!!! It was a nasty black one (= amalgam) which was done when I was like 9 yrs old…and I could tell that it was needing renewed cos there was a hint of decay…(look for the blue-ish tinge around any silver fillings)
- So I got my friend, actress-cum-dentist, Miss VeeBee, to do it. Remember Miss VeeBee from here. (I am taking over her job because she is moving to London to attend drama school!)
- Anyway, armed with the needle (= local anaesthetic), she started freaking me out – I’m usually okay with getting injections at dentists (but not at doctors)…
- It took a good few minutes to calm both of us down as were both giggling nervously and she said she was worried that she’d KILL me!!! I was worried that she would make my eye paralysed – she has a reputation of hitting the WRONG nerve and making the patient’s eye anaesthetised instead of their teeth (= ptosis) !!! hahaha…I haven’t done that YET!
- Thick, rubbery lips with a numb tongue, but only on one half of my face…such a weird sensation…
- Anyway, I got to be the patient, the nurse and the dentist!!!! - 3-in-1
- I had to nurse – suck up water (= aspirate) with my left hand - while I was lying back in the chair as a patient….and then when she removed the filling and the decay, I got to probe around and check out the big cavity, dentist Ling style..”remove that fissure distally please”…and then I picked my tooth shade for the filling.
- It was a rushed job as Miss VeeBee was worried that she’d get a parking ticket!!
- I wasn’t entirely pleased with the initial result so when she went off to renew her parking ticket, I fiddled about with the filling…
- She returned and adjusted the bite ( = occlusion)…and then changed the shade…and then adjusted the bite…
- Now that the numbness has gone, I can feel this sharp ledge and the bite is slightly bumpy….urgh!!!!! My tongue will not stop playing with the sharp bit….
- Argh!!!! Nevertheless, I start work Monday morning and some DIY dentistry will be called for!!!
Oooh….I’m excited…..I love teeth…I love my not-as-perfect-as-it-seems teeth…
In conclusion : Keep smi-Ling!